Monday, November 23, 2020

JEWELS From The GOSPEL Of JOHN: A Journey without JESUS? JOHN 6:16-17

The following is a series of short exhortations, brief commentary and writings to convey thoughtful meditation on God's Word. 

I have chosen the Gospel of John as the subject.  I pray that these will be a blessing and an edification for the saints.

JOHN 6:16-17
16 And when even was now come, his disciples went down unto the sea, 17 And entered into a ship, and went over the sea toward Capernaum. And it was now dark, and Jesus was not come to them
.

After an entire day of sunlight the evening finally comes; there are times when in the light of the SON, everything is clear and in focus; but evening comes, and shadows deepen, and that which was once starkly visible becomes hidden. Where our steps were sure, and eyes perceptive of all that's around, now our walk is cautious, and the way uncertain. We may find ourselves bound by things that hinder our walk.

On this occasion when the LORD ascends up into a mountain by Himself (JOHN 6:15) and the disciples climb into a boat to make their way across the lake, seems to parallel MATT 14; there, the disciples are under the express direction of the LORD to cross over that lake (MATT 14:22). When the LORD commands, we must obey, whether it is broad daylight or the pitch dark of night. 

That which we have learned in the day, we can practice in the night, for such practice bears the light of the Holy One, that is well able to illuminate even the thickest of dark and touch the eyes of the spiritually blind, and cause them to see.

But for ourselves, we must always remember that we walk by faith, and not by sight (2 COR 5:7). There are times that we cannot rely on our own senses, our own bearings or resources, and we find that the farther the LORD calls us into this walk of faith, the more of these He removes from us, until we are startled to realize, that such reliance on these props were wholly unnecessary.

The idea that they provide security or strength is illusion; the only resource we will ever need is JESUS, and unfortunately, it often takes decades, if not a lifetime to understand this.

While the disciples are toiling in the raging waters, in the middle of the night, "Jesus had not yet come".
Have you ever felt lost and alone in the middle of a spiritual night, and you wonder where is the LORD? Why doesn't He help me? Why am I trapped in these bewildering circumstances? What's the delay in the LORD's rescue from these dire circumstances I find myself in?

There are times when we are off on our own, when we aren't asking for the LORD's leading, and we quickly find ourselves lost - then is not the time to ask, "Where are You, LORD?" but "where have I gone?" At such times, we must remember where we have fallen and repent (REV 2:5).

There are other occasions however; when we are diligent in the Word, our communion with Him in prayerful attendance is sweet, but we nonetheless find ourselves in an unfathomable darkness and we see no way out. We seem to be on a journey without Jesus; but it only seems that way.

We walk by faith and not by sight. It is with the eye of faith that we can see Him, without understanding the reason for the quagmire of confusion and mystifying circumstances that surround us and the trials that assail us. These things pursue us like vengeful enemies intent on destroying us:

We cry out, like the Psalmist:

PSALM 3:1-8
1 Lord, how are they increased that trouble me! many are they that rise up against me. 2 Many there be which say of my soul, There is no help for him in God. Selah. 3 But thou, O Lord, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. 4 I cried unto the Lord with my voice, and he heard me out of his holy hill. Selah. 5 I laid me down and slept; I awaked; for the Lord sustained me. 6 I will not be afraid of ten thousands of people, that have set themselves against me round about. 7 Arise, O Lord; save me, O my God: for thou hast smitten all mine enemies upon the cheek bone; thou hast broken the teeth of the ungodly. 
8 Salvation belongeth unto the Lord: thy blessing is upon thy people. Selah.

It may well seem that you are alone, you feel the gnawing pang of loneliness, the gasping breathlessness of a hopeless heart, the faltering faith that feels as though it can hold on no longer.

But the eyes of the Eternal One gaze intently upon you, never straying from your person, not even blinking, but taking in every detail of your surroundings and every thought of your heart. He knows the strength of your faith, and its limits, and sustains you in the very nick of time. You were never in danger of perishing, for our Beloved held you in His almighty hand so that it would be impossible for you to fall into perdition.

Yet the LORD is more interested in our spiritual growth than He is in our temporal comforts and sensible stability. Too often we become comfortably complacent, and the LORD decides and commands "Go to the other side" with not another word of instruction or a comforting word about the future where He will perform such deeds to rescue us. Such things are extraneous.

We only need say, "Speak LORD for Your servant hears" and should He say, "Step into the furnace", we step in, but find that the only thing that gets destroyed in those fiery flames are the cords that bound us - just as Daniel's three friends discovered (DAN 3).

Such is the nature of trials in our lives; we think we'll be destroyed, and would be, if not for GOD's timely intervention, which allows those things that hold us bound (the things of the sinful flesh) to be burned off before we ourselves are turned to ashes.

Our journey on this road of righteousness has many bends in the lane of life, so that we can't see what lies around the corner; but GOD sees, has prepared provisions, and secured our rescue from those things that would swallow us up.

During such times we may expect GOD to show up in His own timing (not ours) and find His will perfected in our lives; our part is to trust in Him, not rely on our own ingenuity or cunning. We may declare along with Elisha, not with doubt but with determined and expectant faith:

"Where is the GOD of Elijah?" (2 KINGS 2:14). This darkness cannot hide you from His blazing eyes of fire; He sees, He knows, He understands that which weighs on you. Understand that this is all in His Sovereign plan that will work for His greatest honor, and our greatest blessing, to know Christ, the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His suffering (PHIL 3:10).

Remember how Job grew in his knowledge of the LORD when once his trials were finished:

JOB 42:5-7
5 I have heard of thee by the hearing of the ear: but now mine eye seeth thee. 6 Wherefore I abhor myself, and repent in dust and ashes. 
7 And it was so, that after the Lord had spoken these words unto Job, the Lord said to Eliphaz the Temanite, My wrath is kindled against thee, and against thy two friends: for ye have not spoken of me the thing that is right, as my servant Job hath.

And the LORD's intentions towards His saints is always born out of His Holy Heart of Eternal love:

JEREMIAH 29:11-14a
11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end. 12 Then shall ye call upon me, and ye shall go and pray unto me, and I will hearken unto you. 13 And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart. 14 And I will be found of you, saith the Lord: and I will turn away your captivity...

For more on this, consider the following FMF article: A Different Sermon On Another 'Mount'

No comments: