Sunday, April 3, 2011

Another Smoke Signal: HE WALKS and TALKS with ME

PSALM 106:9
He rebuked the Red sea also, and it was dried up: so he led them through the depths, as through the wilderness.


PSALM 77:20
Thou leddest thy people like a flock by the hand of Moses and Aaron. ~


PSALM 95:7 
For he is our God; and we are the people of his pasture, and the sheep of his hand. To day if ye will hear his voice, 

PSALM 95:8
Harden not your heart, as in the provocation, and as in the day of temptation in the wilderness:


JEREMIAH 31:32
Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD
:


As most of you know, I do a lot of research and study, looking at current events and trends and examine the world scene, particularly what's happening in our own nation.

Things are looking grim aren't they? Wars around the globe (rumors too); earthquakes, tsunamis and storms; economic as well as nuclear fall out; fuel prices climbing with no promise of slowing down; joblessness creeping ever higher (ten percent unemployment rate, but another 15% of underemployment - those who are working but not making enough to live on).

Like yourselves, I have limited resources on my own, and know too well my vulnerability should I get laid off, or if I incur some enormous financial obligation. Naturally in such storms in life, in the face of uncertainty and signs of impending disaster (and for those who are looking, they are readily observable), one can worry about what's going to happen.

Not to mention how things are going for the church in America; she is getting flooded with heresies, seduced by deceivers, and weakened by the world and its satanic master.

One day a few weeks ago, I was walking about the neighborhood in the morning with my walk man, listening to some music by Chris Tomlin, praying to the LORD about all of these worries and burdens that can so easily weigh us down. At one point the song, All the Way My Savior Leads Me (originally written by Fanny Crosby, the well known hymnist who suffered a tragic accient as a baby through a doctor's mishap that resulted in her blindness) came on as I continued to pray.

Here is the song from youtube; have a listen, and then come back here, would you?


All The Way My Savior Leads Me




Well, as I was walking and praying, I heard the line - "you lead me, and keep me from falling", and at that exact moment I turned to my right and saw a sight that caused my breath to catch in my throat:

A grandfatherly man was gently, slowly walking with his grandchild securely, safely held by his hands over theirs. The little tyke took a wrong step, but the grandfather was there, and didn't allow him to stumble. The toddler was kept safe.
It was then that the LORD spoke so clearly through this sight before me; it was as though He was saying,

"James, you see how gently and lovingly and carefully that man is walking with his babe? He would never abandon that child and leave it on its own to stumble and fall and hurt himself. He isn't impatient with him, but willingly takes such small steps in order to accommodate that little one's own tiny stride.

"Am I not at least as gentle and as loving and as careful in my care for you? Will you not trust Me to care for your every step? Will you doubt My tender mercies for you?"

I must admit that I was ashamed of myself for my doubts and worries over my life before my heavenly Abba; as I continued to walk on, my vision became blurry as my eyes flooded with tears.

I had to repent for not only doubting God and His tender heart towards me, but for hurting His tender heart for all my lack of faith in His loving provision. Yet the LORD in proving His tenderness towards me, orchestrated that event and timed it so precisely that the meaning of that awesome sight was too, too obvious. It was a divinely appointed moment in which the LORD went out of His way to assure my faith.

I think about how the LORD led Israel out of Egypt and gently, patiently led them through the wilderness. Oh, to be sure, there was severe chastening for the people of Israel at the hand of God, but there was provision of grace in the midst of judgment as well. How could Israel have doubted His tender mercies and provision, after they saw such signs and wonders performed by the Almighty in Egypt on their behalf?

The same way that I can doubt Him, though He has performed such miracles in my own life that Israel never saw: namely His holy habitation in my heart as He became my LORD and Savior, and I became the temple of His Holy Spirit.

The same LORD that provided salvation for me, a sinner, and secured an eternal dwelling in the glories of everlasting heaven is the same LORD Who governs this entire universe, yet knows each and every sparrow when it falls, and numbers the hairs on my head (in my case, he counts my eyebrow hairs!). As the Fanny Crosby song goes,

"How could I doubt His tender mercies?" The LORD indeed "leads me and keeps me from falling" - He is ever willing to take me by the hand and gently walk with me, and softly talk with me through His Word, by His Spirit. And He knows every bend in the road of my life, sees every provision and how long it will last - and when it dries up, has a plan to supply my needs by other means: but all of them from His divine hand of grace.

Did you know that one of the titles of God is El Shaddai? In English, this title means the "Almighty Provider" or one who is Almighty in their ability to provide - the same God that proved His Almighty abilities in creation; the same God that proved His Almighty abilities in redemption (Jesus did what NO ONE else could have: he bore the sins of the ENTIRE Human race and paid the price for it all!) is the same God that will meet my needs, supply grace for every trial, grant strength to endure any hardships, be ever-present to help in time of need or persecution or illness.

GOD is indeed Almighty so He can do anything at all; nothing is impossible for Him!

GOD is also LOVE, which means He has the motive of our best and greatest good in mind for everything He brings into our lives. Sometimes He brings trouble into our lives, just so that He can prove Himself strong on our behalf as our Deliverer! He indeed delivers us out of our distresses!

What need then for anxiety or worry? What cause can I point to as a legitimate reason for such things? If I trust Him, He can even keep me from falling into sin and rebellion against Him - and this I greatly desire for my 'new man' (that is, that part of me that is born of God and lives by the power of the Divine nature [character] instilled by Jesus Christ) has no inclination to hurt His Holy Heart.

I want to bless Him by showing Him a heart that will rest in His care, and joy in His ability and demonstrations of love and provision! And I know you want to do the same, for His love and care for you, as for me, is also the same!

JUDE 1:24-25
Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy, To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever
. Amen. And AMEN!

3 comments:

oil painting lessons said...

I like your blog!...Daniel

Unknown said...

Beautifully written on the trustworthiness of God, Father of the faithful. His great love and tender mercies are evident everywhere if we will simply see. I find great solace in the Psalms,which also speak of God's goodness and provision for us. Especially Psalm 34 and 37:25; wherein God is always taking care of those who trust in Him.

James J. Fire said...

Thank you Daniel, it blesses me to know that others can read what I've written and find encouragement; by this I have assurance that I am, even in some small way fulfilling God's commission to me as an encourager in His Name!

April, likewise may I extend my thanks to you for your own words of encouragement. Yes, I also (my mother as well) find great solace in the Psalms. Psalm 37 is a favorite of mine, as is 27, and 92! God bless you sis! God bless you both!